History

The McClelland SchoolA group of Pueblo citizens met on January 10, 1905, to discuss the establishment of a home for children.

Andrew McClelland, a prominent local businessman, offered a three-story building, formerly a Southern Methodist Church college, as a home for the orphanage, which opened on April 25, 1906.

Around 1932, plans for a new building to meet the needs of the community began to develop. With a generous donation from the Pueblo Rotary Club, construction began on the new facility, which opened in 1934.

By 1979, a core group of 20 children were enrolled from kindergarten through the third grade and plans were made to expand the age level through the fifth grade. For the next fifteen years, the school settled into its preschool/elementary structure and eventually added a middle school in 1996.